Member of the Clockmakers Company / Master 1719 & 1723.
A fine London Marquetry longcase clock retaining its original caddy top.
The five pillar 8 day movement with anchor escapement and countwheel bell striking on each hour. The 11″ square brass dial with separate silvered brass chapter ring enclosing a matted centre with ringed winding holes and showing both seconds and date and with finely made blued steel hands.
The impressive panelled strap and scroll marquetry case with foliage and inhabited by birds and figures to both the trunk door, base and hood. The trunk door also with a brass lenticle. The sides of the trunk with boxwood inlaid panels and ebonised mouldings throughout the case.
The hood with brass capped angle pillars with caddy surmounted by three brass Flambeau finials. The total height with the caddy is 8’3″ but with the caddy removed the height is 7’3″.
Note: Edward Crouch was apprenticed in 1682 and freed in 1691. After becoming an Assistant and Warden he eventually became Master of the Clockmakers Company in 1719 and again in 1723. In 1697 his address was Under St Dunstans Church, Fleet Street.
Historical Fact: In 1666 St Dunstans Church, Fleet Street narrowly escaped the Great Fire of London.
Price: £19,125 / Height: 8’3″ / C.1695